Benzodiazepines are commonly prescribed tranquilizer medications used to treat insomnia and anxiety. They have a high potential for abuse, especially when used with other substances such as alcohol or opiates. Benzodiazepines, particularly those having a rapid onset, are abused to produce a euphoric effect.
The abuse of prescription Benzodiazepines has grown at an alarming rate in the United States, contributing to thousands of emergency room visits and overdose deaths each year. It is important to note that Benzodiazepines can prove deadly when combined with other depressants, including alcohol.
- Classified as Schedule IV in the Controlled Substances Act
- Have a high potential for abuse, especially when used with other depressants such as alcohol or opiates
- Often sold and purchased illegally by recreational users
- Benzos have sedative properties and slow down the functions of the central nervous system
- Available in pill form, syrup or as an injectable